As we hinted in our last post, Anui is still in the Mackay marina waiting to be hauled out, but there is a serious change of plan which is putting us out of action for several weeks. Let us tell you more!
Our Selva saildrives, from an Italian company that no longer exists, have been giving us repeated problems and costing us a fortune. We are opposed to spending money on parts that do not last. We have also discovered our Kubota engines are smaller than we thought: 22hp rather than the advertised 31hp which explains why we motor so slowly. We are underpowered for the size of Anui and it probably contributes to our hassles.
So in the midst of waiting to be hauled out, we have been doing some thinking… always dangerous! We have done some research and have been weighing up options.
- Option one: have the dodgy dog clutch and sail drive taken off in Mackay, sent to Brisbane for repair and returned to Mackay, and accept we will have to repeat the exercise in 12 to 18 months, earlier if the starboard one decides to go too.
- Option two: get the temporary fix done then at the end of the year when we are at The Boat Works have the two Selva saildrives replaced with new Twin Disc saildrives. This means double handling one saildrive, a waste of a few thousand dollars! It would address the saildrive issue, but not the engines.
- Option three: tackle both the saildrives and underpowered engines in one hit and upgrade the lot now. Scary amount of money and work involved, but we would be done with engine and saildrive issues once and for all.
We have bitten the bullet and are going ahead with option 3: repowering Anui in Mackay right here, right now. Well when we say right now, we mean soon… eventually!
The best known and reliable brands here are Yanmar and Volvo. As for the size we were looking for 40hp but none are in Australia! In the end we are going with what is in stock now, given the difficulty in getting gear in the country with Covid. The Yanmar 54hp and SD60 drives have been ordered, Mackay Marine Services will handle the swap over and John Sticklan, semi retired boat builder, will tackle the structural changes to the engine lockers, engine beds, through hull fittings, etc.
We are staying at the marina for another ten days and are booked to be hauled out on 21 June, a painfully long but unavoidable wait. Our existing gear will be taken out, then the mechanics and shipwright will install the Yanmars.
So these have been our surroundings and will be for a while longer!
There won’t be any cruising for us until sometime in July, but we will get back into it with a vengeance as soon as possible.
Buying and maintaining an old boat is a voyage of discovery: you discover one problem after another! It drains your energy and your finances, yet you take it on because you have a passion for beautiful vessels, for sailing, for adventure. So we keep going! It is yet another unwelcome pause in our cruising, but it is the right decision for us.