It is time for One Photo Focus, a photo editing challenge hosted by Stacy Fischer at Visual Venturing, whereby all participants from different corners of the globe work on a single photo to bring their interpretation and apply their creative digital darkroom skills.
This month’s image is supplied by Julie Powell. It is a beautiful homestead – possibly from Federation times – somewhere in Australia.
To me the image called for an old world treatment in monochrome with a sepia tone. I wanted to soften the overall look and tone down the bright sunlight and dark shadows.
Here is what I did:
- In Lightroom I made minor adjustments to shadows and highlights.
- Removed the sensor spot in the sky above the peak of the roof, then added a graduated filter to the sky to darken it.
- Exported the image to Silver Efex Pro to convert it to black and white and selected the Antique Plate II preset, which gives the image a faded, old world look.
- Made adjustments to lower the contrast and structure, to soften the image
- Selected a dark sepia toning
- Added an image border with slight burnt edges
This is the result:
Thank you to Julie for letting us play with your image and to Stacy for hosting the challenge.
It is always fascinating to see what other participants have done, so do visit the May One Photo Focus post on Stacy’s site.
18 thoughts on “May One Photo Focus”
Well done aging.
Cool effects, Chris!
Very nice effect!
Thank you Laura.
nicely done…suggests a story within a historical perspective
Thanks Brenda. Just wish I knew something about this homestead.
Wonderful edit for this month.
Thank you Cee.
love that vintage look Chris. It suits the architecture!
Thank you Cybele.
Amazing what you pull off! I really looks exactly like something out of an old album!
You make me laugh! Thanks for the feedback😊
I think you are clever how you do this, looks sooo old. I liked the edges it really added a sense of age
Thanks Sue… Just found out it’s a homestead near Sorrento. I don’t think it is very old, but it was fun giving it that vintage feel.