It is maintenance time for Take It Easy and as usual there is always more to do than you thought, it takes longer than you would like and costs more than you planned to spend! Boats are holes in which to throw money and the annual haul out is a particularly scary time.
It was just going to be a quick clean, antifoul, engine service… two days on the hard at the most! Yeah… right! It is not until six days later that we are getting back in the water! splash time is later today.
So what happened?
Let’s start with the worst bit. Over the past years layer after layer of antifoul had built up and after the high pressure jets did their job, the hulls looked like a checkerboard: bits flaking off. Our current black antifoul was no longer adhering to the original green antifoul in a few spots. So we sanded back the flaked patches to the level of the original antifoul, put on two coats of primer, then could proceed to apply a couple of coats of new antifoul. That took three days! We both looked a bit scary as we wet sanded. Check out this photo of my darling. I’m just as bad, but luckily I am hiding behind the camera!
We thought the blue hulls looked rather dull and faded. They needed a cut and polish and a paint touch up in a couple of spots. We got “143 Boat Building” to handle this. That job took four days!
Every time we haul out we get the Yamaha mechanics to service our two outboards. And we left the dinghy motor with the Honda dealer on the way up the Coomera river. Note to self: better not forget to pick up the Honda…
While out of the water, we finally were able to remove the old sounder and instal the transducer that communicates with our Raymarine Multi Function Display. Remember that saga from nearly a year ago when our navigation gear got stolen and the replacement MFD could not talk to one of our two transducers? And remember how we beached TIE, Wade started taking the old sounder off but felt too nervous to complete the task with the tide coming back in? Well just as well he did not proceed then because the hole for the new transducer was not quite big enough. It took a few hours to adjust it, cover the raw timber with Everdure wood preservative and then fit the transducer in the enlarged hole at the bottom of the hull smothered with Sikaflex – a very messy job and one that takes a lot longer than a low tide lasts!
It has been hot, sticky, dusty and hard work. A week like this reminds us there are certain things about boating we really dislike… But we have to sing the praises of The Boatworks. It was our first experience at hauling out there. Everything was coordinated very well. These guys do have the works and made our life easier. Every boat trade you can think of is at hand, they have really thought of everything, even allowing live-aboards and their pets to stay on their boat on the hard instead of having to find a hotel room somewhere.
Great facilities, very helpul people, nothing is too much trouble. Everything has been attended to, we have cleaned every surface inside and out, laundered every cushion cover… It all went like clockwork. Take It Easy now looks very nice and shiny, thank you very much. Shame about our bank account!