The weather has conspired to hold us here longer with Cyclone Seth raging. But we were safe at Marina Mirage … going deaf from the incessant helicopter flights overhead and the squeaking from the surge in 40 knot winds, but you can’t have everything!
We were able to get ashore and catch some spectacular shots of the big surf, particularly at high tide when the beach disappeared totally. We will let the ocean tell the story:
Waiting to go south!
The seas and swell are slowly abating. We are eagerly waiting for the wind to blow in the right direction and the unpleasant short chop to ease to escape from Queensland. It looks like departure will happen this weekend.
Being so late in getting underway means we are now pushing to get south! People ask us why we don’t leave Anui somewhere and just fly to Melbourne. The trouble is Anui is our home, so we don’t want to be separated from her with the tidal wave of COvid infections, changeable quarantine and interstate travel rules, plus we have our pussycat Bengie on board, too. Originally this trip to Melbourne was a good excuse to avoid another summer in Queensland… it gave us something to do for a few months! But now with the cyclone, the mishaps, the delays and the exponential rise of the pandemic here, what should have been a leisurely trip is turning into a marathon to get down, sorted and back north!
We are breaking our own rules and intending to do a series of overnighters while the northerlies blow. It promises to be a hard trip. We are likely to get stuck with a southerly change somewhere along the way! We have provisioned the boat so as to minimise trips ashore too. Anui is our safe haven in these days of high infection risk!
Our first passage is a 220 nm sail straight to Port Macquarie. We are picking up our friend Waz who will be crewing with us towards Melbourne. We suspect Lisa will stay home with the doggies!
Likely hops after that include Port Stephens, Port Hacking, Broulee Bay, Eden and Wilson’s Promontory.
If it looks like we can’t make it to Melbourne by the end of the month, plan B is to get to Victoria into the Gippsland Lakes and from there, Chris will abandon ship add hire a car, to get to her much needed specialists’ appointments… Can’t afford to miss these: too hard to get and she is in need of some good drugs! Her back and hands are in a sad state and she is not in a good place.
Stay tuned for a few good passage photos in the next posts!